Top food blogs

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Mixed greens with beets, mung bean sprouts and dry-roasted chickpeas

So I am an avid instagram user.  My husband would say that I am addicted, which is not too far from the truth.  I mainly follow users who are vegan and who eat a whole food plant-based diet (with the occasional fashion bloggers (I have a weakness for bloggers who mix high-end designers with Forever 21 and Zara (I mostly mix Zara and Forever 21...nicer on the budget)).  So anyways, I use Instagram as a platform to share my recipes, and really do enjoy the instant gratification of the "like" button.  I also feel like there is a better connection and dialogue with my followers, where as a blog feels more like a self-centered monologue.  I also find it harder to produce a quality product when I have the kids around.  So for the next little while, I will be posting here once or twice a week, since I do enjoy it quite a bit.  As for more regular updates, feel free to follow along on  my  Facebook page and on Instagram, twitter (@aavoine) and pinterest!  If you like this blog, please subscribe to its RSS Feed or via email!

Now to last night's dinner.  I have been wanting to purchase a sprouter for a while now, but felt a bit overwhelmed at the idea.  Making a drastic diet change the way I did takes so getting used to, so in the mean time I have been purchasing some sprouts from my local health food market.  But after last night's salad, I will definitely be buying one soon.


Mixed Greens with Red beets, Mung Bean Sprouts and Dry-Roasted Chickpeas


 
 
 So first start off with dry-roasting the chickpeas (this recipe comes from instagram user @therunningtimes)
 
 
 
Ingredients : 
 

1 can (about 2 cups) of chickpeas rinsed and dried. 
1 tbsp. honey (or agave nectar)
1/2 tbsp. she used olive oil, but I substituted with sunflower oil
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Method :
 
Preheat oven to 375C.
 
Peel the little white skin from the chickpeas (hard work but definitely worth it and essential to the chickpeas being very crispy).
 
Place on a baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes.
 
When they start to brown, place them in a mixing bowl and add the honey, oil, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Mix until well coated.  If you would like a glazing effect, place in the oven for an extra 10 minutes.

 
As for the salad, simply place the mixed greens, boiled beets (for cooking instructions, see Beet and Orange Salad recipe here), chickpeas and mung bean sprouts in a serving bowl and drizzle with some balsamic vinegar.  Serve and enjoy! 
 
The chickpeas are great as part of this salad, as a main dish with some vegetables or simply as a snack.  My daughter couldn't keep her hands off of them.  And since they are a good source of protein and iron (1 cup gives you 30% of your daily recommended intake of iron), they definitely will be making their way into her lunch box when school starts in a few weeks. 
 
Have a great day, and thanks for reading!
Amelie
 
 
 
 
 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment