Top food blogs

Monday, May 6, 2013

First Fridays - amazing food

So last Friday we went to the First Fridays event in the city and it was wonderful.  It felt great to be outside since the weather has really been summer-like for the past week.  There were about 12 food trucks which ranged in their offerings.  Some sold sausages, others waffles.  There were tacos and smoothies as well as an ice cream truck and a mobile cafĂ© (they even had a makeshift counter with some stools on the side of the truck). 

Curious as to what we ate?  Here is the run down:
 
My daughter had a chocolate covered waffle for the main course (which, she said, was to die for) She chose ice cream for desert (quite the dinner, don't you think?  Can you tell she has a sweet tooth?).  My son had a hamburger which was not your typical run-of-the-mill.  My husband described it as not fancy, but definitely not fast food type either.  He also had a waffle and ice cream for desert.  I went with an amazing Asparagus Caesar Salad from Landry et Filles which did have some regular croutons and some tiny bits of bacon, but my choices were limited so I didn't make a fuss about it.  I also did have a great vegetarian taco from Grumman 78. It was very fresh with some unexpected flavors - not your typical Americanised Mexican food (which I do have to admit I still like)- but it was great to have a different twist on it  Again, it wasn't gluten or dairy-free, but I didn't go crazy.  My desert was an Americano from Dispatch Coffee Truck.  It was perfect!  Although I was a bit disappointed that they didn't have decaf - old age obliges!  I fell asleep at 1 am because of it, but it was worth it.   My husband chose a pulled pork taco, also from Grumman 78.  He also found it quite good and unexpected.  The organisers also provided a selection of beer and wine. 
 
There was also a DJ which played some reggae music and  some street performers where also on-site to provide entertainment (my daughter hoola hooped for 30 minutes and got some help on her technique by a circus entertainer).  All-in-all, we will definitely be going back more than once this summer.  It is a great family activity and prices were similar to any average family restaurant, but with a much better atmosphere and higher quality of food! 
 


(Pardon the above pictures, they were taken quite quickly
because the kids just wanted to eat and go hoola hoop!) 


 
 
 
Have a great day!
Amelie
 
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment