Top food blogs

Monday, April 22, 2013

Arugula Salad


Last night for dinner, we were supposed to eat a Greek inspired salad with spaghetti squash, but when I started making it, I realized I had bought the wrong kind of squash.  So I decided to ditch the squash altogether and improvise (which I seem to find myself doing a lot these days).  I ended up with something completely different, but surprisingly tasty.   This was our main course, which I wouldn't recommend - rather it would make a great side dish.  After eating half of my portion, I decided to reheat the leftover (yet untouched by sauce) fusilli pasta we had the night before, and it was SUPER DELICIOUS!  The combination of the cold salad and the warm pasta made me crave the summer ahead.  This is definitely a meal worthy of a warm summer night and a nice glass of white wine! 
 
Arugula Salad
(pictured as a side)
 
Ingredients
(Yields 6-8 sides or 4 main courses) 
 
 
Salad:
 
2 cups red grape tomatoes cut into quarters
2 cups yellow grape tomatoes cut into quarters
1 cup cucumber seeded and diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
6-8 cups arugula
 
Dressing
 
3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
1 tsp. red wine vinegar
3 tbsp. nutritional yeast powder
2 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
2 tbsp. fresh oregano or 2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
 
Method
 
In a large bowl, mix all the salad ingredients.  In a separate bowl, whisk together both vinegars and the nutritional yeast powder.  Add the oregano, salt, pepper and garlic.  Whisk until well blended.  Add to the salad.  Sprinkle yeast flakes over salad and serve.
 
For main course option, add 3-4 cups of warm pasta.  Fusilli or penne would be my preferred choices.
 
 
Have a nice day!
Amelie


No comments:

Post a Comment